Sunday, January 20, 2013

Iron Clad Armory AK-74 Review



I know a lot of folks are looking for information on these rifles that Iron Clad is building...  I've got about 700 rounds through mine so far (headed to the range again tomorrow for a few hundred more) and here's what I've found.


Pros:

-Reliable.  The rifle has had 0 malfunctions
-Accurate.  As with most 74 type rifles, it's more accurate than most people think AKs can be.   I've shot several 2'' groups at 100m with this rifle and 7N6 (to include the group in the video below)
-The CHF CL 1 in 8 RH twist barrel.   As far as I know, these are the first US made CHF CL barrels out there.  Not all ICA rifles come with these barrels but it's an 'upgrade' option they offer if you order direct from them (the other barrels they use are CL US made barrels from Curtis at akbuilder.com).    According to the owner, they get the are sourced from MIL/LE supplier and then turned down in house by ICA.
-Gun Kote finish.  I have several rifles with this finish and I really like it compared to other AK finishes on the market.
-The side folder stock locks up tight in both positions.
-Build on matching Bulgy parts kit.
-Cost.   These rifles seem to go from between $700-$1100 depending on the options (milled/stamped receiver, Iron Wood or K-Var furniture, side rail/no side rail, CHF or standard US barrel, side folder vs standard stock, ect...)
-The receivers (both stamped and milled) are made in house by ICA so they offer the option for the buyer to pick their own serial number on the receiver.  Not really a big deal but NoDak has stopped this option as far as I know so if it's something you're looking for they'll do it for you.

Cons:
-The only one I can think of is the slight indent in the receiver I talk about in the video but it really isn't an issue to me but I know it will be for some.
-Availability.   Like everyone else these days, ICA is backordered.   I think the wait varies on the rifle you order but last I heard it was 8-12 weeks.

Here's the video where I do a little shooting, show and discuss the barrel, take the rifle down, shoot a group with some 7N6, and discuss my experience with ordering from ICA:



1 comment:

  1. Ahaa, it’s nice conversation on the subject of this post at this place, I actually have read all that, therefore at this time me additionally commenting at this place.
    source

    ReplyDelete