Saturday, December 29, 2012

Speer Gold Dot 357SIG 125gr JHP Ballistics Gel Test



Finished up the testing of the 125gr 357 SIG Gold Dot (#54234) round.  Here are the conditions and results. 

Test conditions: 
-Glock 22 with G31 barrel (4.48'')
-Test rounds fired from 10 feet 
-FBI spec Clear Ballistics gel block (more on this below) 
-4 layers of denim 

Results: 
-1373 fps, 522 ft/lbs energy
-18.75'' of penetration 
-Recovered weight: 124gr
-Average expansion: .515'' 


The manufacture of the gel block, Clear Ballistics, claims their gel meets FBI specs for testing. I calibrate my gel per their specs prior to testing and use 4 layers of denim per IWBA protocol. 

However, by no means am I saying this test is a substitute for the great work industry professionals like Dr. Roberts and others do. I'm just a shooter that likes to learn about the products I use. 

Here's the video showing the test, the permanent cavity, and a discussion of the results: 


1 comment:

  1. I have looked for so several posts about the blog lovers except this post is of course a nice one, keep on.
    source

    ReplyDelete